- “A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” George Bernard Shaw
- “For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “No yesterdays are ever wasted for those who give themselves to today.” Unknown
Another Lesson from My Retreat: How many times to we quote the saying – “You reap what you sow.”
I don’t know about you but most of the time this scripture is used in relation to something bad you’ve done. You sin so you reap consequences. What if we looked at it like… we sow blessing to reap blessing. We want love so we show love. We want mercy so we show mercy. It is interesting to me that we are bound and determined to see the negative. We believe God is always waiting to punish us but why not think of our God as ready to bless us!
True Story: Mom’s babies born on 8-8-08, 9-9-09, 10-10-10 (USA TODAY)
Unlike many moms, Barbara Soper never gets her kids’ birthdays confused. That’s because her first was born on Aug, 8, 2008, her second on Sept. 9, 2009 and her most recent on Oct. 10, 2010. Yes, that’s 8-8-08, 9-9-09 and 10-10-10. The Rockford, Mich., mom and husband Chad weren’t thinking about dates when their children were born. Their doctor had to give drugs to start labor for the couple’s first daughter, Chloe, who was born full term on Aug. 8. Their son was a surprise all around. “He wasn’t a planned baby at all, he was a miracle,” says Barbara Soper. He was due on Sept. 20th, but because sister Chloe’s birth had caused some problems their doctor suggested he a little early so he’d be smaller. Soper was induced on Sept. 8, but it took 24 hours before Cameron made his way into the world, arriving on 9-9-09. Soper says she and her husband had thought it would be “neat” if their third child was born on 10-10-10 but because her due date wasn’t until Nov. 4, it seemed unlikely. But it ended up being “kind of mandatory eviction,” says Soper. She developed blood clots in her legs and three weeks before her due date doctors told her the baby needed to be delivered. The induction was begun on 10-9-10, but it wasn’t until 6:53 on Sunday night, 10-10-10, that Cearra arrived. Barbara and Chad don’t plan to do it again in 2012.
Box Office Report: New This Week “RED” Bruce Willis leads an ensemble cast of retired CIA agents who rally one last time to fight for justice and the American way. So, what’s Family Friendly? (Plugged In) Yahoo Box office Report (Yahoo News)
Tis the Candy Season: Worst Candies (Yahoo)
A cocker spaniel weighs about 24 pounds. You know what else weighs 24 pounds? The heft of candy the average American gobbles down each year, a big chunk of that falling to our waistlines this time of year. Fun size? I don’t think so—unless it’s fun being size 16. October begins the eating season… Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner. If you want to see your feet come January, start by conquering the sugar fest that’s nearly upon us.
- Three miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups—the kind you find in office candy bowls fill your belly with more sugar than a glazed doughnut.
- Half a pack of Skittles has more sugar than a scoop of Haagen-Dazs Cookies and Cream Ice Cream.
- Nine Twizzlers carry as many calories as a Wendy’s Double Stack Burger
- WORST “FUN SIZE” CANDY BAR – Butterfinger Bar (fun size bar) /100 calories 4g fat (2g sat) 10 g sugars
- Eat This, Instead! – 3 Musketeers (fun size bar) /63 calories 2g fat (1.5g sat) 10g sugars
- WORST FRUITY CANDY – Brach’s Airheads (3 pieces) / 140 calories 1.5g fat (1g sat) 19g sugars
- Eat This, Instead! – Spangler Dum Dum Pops (3 pops) /77 calories of fat 105g sugars
- WORST MINIATURE CANDY BARS – Twix Miniatures (3 pieces) /150 calories 8g fat (6g sat) 15g sugars
- Eat This Instead! – Tootsie Roll (3 pieces) / 70 calories 1.5g fat (0.5g sat) 9.5g sugars
- WORST CHEWY CANDY – Brach’s Milk Maid Caramels (4 pieces) / 160 calories 4.5g fat (3.5g sat) 16g sugars
- Eat This, Instead! – Now and Later (4 pieces) / 53 calories 0.5g fat (0g sat) 10g sugars
- WORST NOVELTY CANDY – Reese’s Pumpkin /170 calories 10g fat (3g sat) 16g sugars
- Eat This, Instead! – Reese’s Bite Size Peanut Butter Cups (2 pieces) / 72 calories 4g fat (3g sat) 6g sugars