The Lufkin Little League All-Stars lost a heartbreaker and their first game of the Tourniment season. After 2-1 extra-innings Southwest (Lufkin) loss to Southeast (North Carolina) in the Little League World Series.
Lufkin will now play Connecticut in an elimination game on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. CDT. KTRE-TV reports, Coach Maddux said. “There’s no question in my mind. We’ll be ready to play tomorrow night.”
Greenville, North Carolina Now advances to a Saturday game for the U.S. Championship.
The Lufkin All Stars recorded the first hit North Carolina gave up in the World Series play, it was the only hit Lufkin achieved in the game..
- Carson Hardee hit a one-out solo homer to center field to give NC a quick 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third.
- Mark Requena broke NC’s streak with a leadoff double, in the top of the third,
- Zach Phipps came into the game to run for Requena and scored on an RBI to tie the game.
- Matthijs came in, in the 3rd inning and struck out 11 of the 12 hitters.
- Requena’s throwing error to home gave North Carolina the win In the seventh inning with the bases loaded.
- Hunter Ditsworth matched his counterparts nearly step-for-step and struck out eight hitters. ESPN reported, “Southeast ran up the pitch count on him and he was pulled after the fifth inning.”
- Chip Buchanan came into the sixth inning and managed to send the game into extra innings after walking the leadoff hitter. He managed to get two groundouts and
- Collin Ross caught a fly ball over the wall to end the inning.
- In the seventh, NC’s Cash Daniels-Moye reached first on a third baseman error in the seventh inning.
- Daniels-Moye then reached second on a passed ball and went to third on a Matthijs single. Lufkin intentionally walked Carson Hardee to load the bases and to bring the infielders in.
- Buchanan got just what he wanted with a grounder to first base, but the first baseman’s throwing error to home ended the game.
KTRE reported, Lufkin manager Bud Maddox said, “That was a great baseball game for spectators to watch and A great fielding game. Hunter pitched great and Chip came out throwing good. An error ended the streek.”
And KTRE reports, NC Manager Brian Fields said, “That was the best Little League game I’ve ever been a part of… Those two pitchers were good and you hate to see someone lose.”