Does clutter cause you anxiety? Do you see a difference between clean and clutter free or are dirty & cluttered basically they the same to you?
And there’s actually a reason for it and it’s not that you’re crazy. Studies show that clutter and mess actually causes us anxiety.
There are 8 major reasons why Carter believes this:
- Clutter overwhelms us because it causes excessive stimuli so our senses go into overdrive
- It distracts us from other things we’d like to focus on
- It makes it harder to mentally and physically relax
- It signals to our minds that our work is never done
- It also causes anxiety because we have to think about how we are going to clean everything up
- It can impede productivity and creativity
- It makes it harder for us to find what we need and takes up space for doing other necessary things on our list
“Clutter can play a significant role in how we feel about our homes, our workplaces, and ourselves. Messy homes and workspaces leave us feeling anxious, helpless, and overwhelmed. Yet, rarely is clutter recognized as a significant source of stress in our lives,” Psychologist Sherrie Bourg Carter wrote in an article for Psychology Today.