A warm glow and sense of connection aren’t all you get from volunteering: It can improve your mental health and help you live longer too. A leading researcher explains why.
Most of us know that if we eat our fruit and veggies, exercise often, and avoid smoking, we have a better chance of living longer and healthier lives. But your doctor may not have told you there’s a link between volunteering and health. Published recently in BMC Public Health, the paper finds that volunteering is associated with lower depression, increased well-being, and a 22 percent reduction in the risk of dying.
But there’s more… Go Here for the Story.
4 Health Benefits of Apples: Unexpected ways the staple fruit of fall helps your health. (FoxHealth) An apple a day will keep the doctor away. But the fall favorite can also improve your skin, help your breathing and help you lose weight. Here are some of the amazing and unexpected benefits of apples!
- Radiance booster – Treat your skin to a refreshing at-home green-apple mask. The fruit helps replenish moisture, and its acids smooth fine lines, explains Karen Behnke, founding partner of Juice Beauty in San Rafael, California. Her recipe: In a blender, puree one chopped green apple (skin included) with 1/2 cup sliced green grapes; add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/4 cup aloe vera, and continue blending until you have a thick paste. Apply to face, neck, and décolletage; wait 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Note: Before you apply, test on a small area of your face or neck to ensure that none of the ingredients react adversely with your skin.
- Breathing aid – Think twice about peeling your next apple—the skin is jam-packed with an antioxidant called quercetin, which may protect your lungs from pollutants. A study from St. George’s Hospital Medical School in London found that people who eat five or more apples a week have better lung function than those who don’t.
- Scalp rejuvenator – Say good-bye to pesky flakes with apple cider vinegar, which is believed to nix the bacteria that may contribute to dandruff, says Cal Orey, author of The Healing Powers of Vinegar. Try this remedy: Massage a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar directly into washed scalp; leave on for one minute, then rinse.
- Waistline shrinker – Substitute unsweetened applesauce for half the butter or oil in cake recipes, and you’ll get a naturally sweeter, moister dessert with much less fat, says Samantha Heller, RD, author of Get Smart: Samantha Heller’s Nutrition Prescription for Boosting Brain Power and Optimizing Total Body Health. The sauce is fat and cholesterol-free, and one cup has almost as much filling fiber as one cup of brown rice.
(Scroll down for New “Chris Tomlin” Music Video)
At PrayerWorks This Story – I’m Beautiful!
“As a single parent you often face many challenges. Trying to fit everyone’s needs and wants into your own schedule. Many times I felt like “Lord, I can’t!” “I’m running low on fuel”. Sometimes I caught myself just crying with no sense of “why?”
One evening after work I changed my radio station and I heard “You’re beautiful,You are made for so much more than all of this” by Mercy Me. And then it hit me, I am loved, I am fierce, and I can defeat the enemy. I’m Beautiful! And since then my kids and I sing along to just about every song we hear. Some of their favorites are “Give me your eyes”, “Just be held”. The mornings with Al & Kevin are daily breakfast. Thank you for all that you do!”
(From Al & Kevin – “Thank you, that’s very kind of you! We join you in praising God for what KSWP & KAVX means to us all!”)
Odd Plane Idea:
Authorities say a man attempted to open the door of a Lufthansa Airlines jet during a flight to Belgrade. The man was quickly restrained and placed in a business class seat for the rest of the flight. Some people will do anything to get an upgrade.
We were touched by the logic of the following email from a friend. What do you think? Comment below!
“No one has been able to explain to me why young men and women serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, and only get 50% of their pay on retirement.
While Politicians hold their political positions, in the safe confines of the capital, protected by these same men and women, and receive full-pay retirement after serving one term.
It just does not make any sense. Andrews AFB golf course (where the political elite play), Congressional barber shops, and Congressional fitness centers remain open during the “shutdown”, while death benefits to soldiers are delayed and the WW2 memorial and national parks are not only closed, extra expenses are incurred to barricade and enforce the closures … not to mention health care to critically ill children temporarily suspended.”
Would you believe 40,060?
Seriously? According to National News services, 60 new laws came from the US House and Senate. The other 40,000 were from state lawmakers all across the United States.
Examples include for Texans:
- Applying for a concealed handgun license in Texas? You can now get it without providing your social security number. And classroom instruction hours have been reduced.
- Voters in 2014 must bring a state or federal photo ID to the polls,
- Service animals assisting veterans with post traumatic stress will get access to the same public settings as dogs who assist the blind.
- Indoor tanning beds will be off limits for anyone under 18 years of age.
- People seeking state unemployment benefits must frist take a drug test.