- Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. ~ Norman Vincent Peale
- Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love. ~ Hamilton Wright Mabi
- Remember, this December, that love weighs more than gold. ~ Josephine Dodge Daskam Bacon
Strict Rules? Not! Many people think being a Christian means following a strict set of rules to keep you obedient. But being a real follower of God means cultivating a loving relationship with him.
Jesus replied, “You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.” Matthew 22:37-38 NLT
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – Our movie expert Bob Waliszewski, with Plugged In Online, roars about the latest film version of a C.S. Lewis book. Read the review at this link and hear the review after 7:50 am… Click on the arrow.
How To Buy Safe Toys For Your Kids: What to look for to ensure the toys you give your kids are safe. (Consumer Reports)
- The most important thing you can do to make sure the toys you bring home are safe for your child is to buy age-appropriate ones. Young children can choke on small parts, so take those age guidelines seriously.
- Look for “no phthalates” on labels. Phthalates are chemicals that are found in some plastics (they smell like a plastic shower curtain). They can be toxic if a child ingests them.
- Buy American products. Toys that are made in the U.S. have a better safety record than many imports.
- Watch for recalls. As we saw with the recent Fisher-Price toys recalls (more on page 83), any recalled toys should be removed from store shelves. But some may fall through the cracks, so check the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s ongoing list of recalls, at http://www.cpsc.gov. It’s especially important to check if you buy used toys on eBay or at a yard sale or consignment shop.
- Don’t buy toys at the dollar store. When we went shopping with our safety expert, Donald Mays, he found a number of cheaply made toys that could be dangerous to kids.
Looking for a Fun and Family Safe Events This weekend?
- Evening in Old Bethlehem 25th Anniversary – Bring family to visit the night Jesus was born in the old city of Bethlehem – Friday, December 10 and Saturday, December 11, 6-8 p.m. at George H. Henderson Expo Center, 1200 Ellen Trout Dr., Lufkin
- Lufkin State School Christmas Workshop – Gift Wrapping from 8-5, Monday thru Friday til December 24th – Please call (936)853-2759 for more information.
- Carpenter’s Way, Lufkin Concert of Lights – Now through December 31, 6 p.m. til midnight – Please call (936)632-6599 for more information.
- Gold City in Concert – Saturday, December 11. 6:00 p.m. – Trinity Baptist Church, 2909 E. Lufkin – Please call (936)632-8450 for more information.
- Nacogdoches Tour of Homes – 2010 Christmas Tour of Homes benefiting Historic Nacogdoches – Saturday, December 11 – Tickets available at the Visitor Center, 200 E. Main, Nacogdoches
- Sara Groves O Holy Night Christmas Tour – Sara Groves “O Holy Night” Tour – Saturday, December 11, 7:00 p.m. – Carpenter’s Way, Lufkin
- Apostolic Lighthouse Fundraiser – Huge Truckload outdoor, outlet sale. Cash only. All proceeds benefit the Apostolic Lighthouse Pentecostal Church Building Fund. December 11, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Apostolic Lighthouse Pentecostal, Hwy. 259 N,, Nacogdoches, TX
- German Christmas Service – Angel Of Joy Lutheran Church, Lufkin – All readings and hymns will be done in German, sermon will be in English – Sunday, December 12, 3:00 p.m.
My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places. Isaiah 32:18
If you’re the type of person who is always amidst the loud hustle-bustle, be sure to take refuge in a secure, quiet resting place every now and then. The peace and tranquility will serve you well. (thedailyverse.com/Kat Davis)
Power Thoughts Continue reading
Jesus is not asking us to act pious and religious. He’s asking us to love people as He does. If you find yourself in a position of influence, be sure you’re guiding the people who choose to follow you in the ways Continue reading