Governor declares state of disaster in a number of local counties due to flooding
(AUSTIN) — As flooding continues to impact parts of East and Southeast Texas, Governor Greg Abbott today declared a state of disaster in the following counties: Angelina, Erath, Gregg, Hardin, Harrison, Hood, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Madison, Marion, Newton, Orange, Parker, Sabine, San Augustine, and Tyler. The Governor also elevated the activation level of the State Operations Center (SOC) in Austin, and is urging Texans to stay on high alert and immediately heed any warnings from their local officials related to this severe flood threat.
“Flooding resulting from historic rainfall in East Texas is having a significant impact on residents,” said Governor Abbott. “The State of Texas continues to do everything it can to assist all the counties affected by this severe weather, and my thoughts and prayers are with all those impacted. I want to thank the first responders for their quick response to this disaster and ask that residents heed the warnings of local officials, particularly concerning evacuation notices.”
To read Governor Abbott’s disaster declaration, click here.
- “Without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle resentment.”
- “Forgiveness is the way to true health and happiness.”
- “In order to see the good things in life, sometimes you have to endure the tough things.”
The Good Friends Question of the Day: How many times a day do you Facebook? Why do you keep going back? Please Like Comment & Share! – or call 1-800-944-8443!
Getaway Weekend: Like many of you, Michelle and I look for opportunities to get away. Like you we don’t do it enough. Get a way…defined as a time to remember what it was like when we fell in love.
You get to busy with life and kids and don’t take time to be with each other and check out from life. Get a way can be defined as a chance to do “whatever it was that you did when you were dating…talking for hours, looking into each other’s eyes, listening – I mean really listening and keep the spark in your marriage… spend time with each other with no interruptions… It a chance to “Change the routine… the mundane… the boring… and move it into extraordinary, sensational, and exciting…”
We did that this last weekend. Started with no real plan…discovered they had a jazz festival in the Natchitoches, La area, (Near Hodges Gardens) So we went North to Tyler to see the roses… (Left – Judy Garland [It has a bee in the yellow rose], Middle – MyPretty [couldn’t find the name], Right – Veteran’s Honor)
Cash In on Consignments: 5 Clothing Castaways that’ll Earn You $$$ – Keep an eye out for buried treasure while digging through your closet during your annual spring cleaning. If you have any of the following 5 pieces in your wardrobe and aren’t planning to make use of them this season, consider offering them up for consignment:
- Military-style jackets. Look for structured jackets in neutral colors like tan and olive green that feature details such as brass buttons or chains.
- Ruffled shirts. Look for button downs, camis or T-shirts that have ruffle detailing on the neck, chest or shoulders.
- Full skirts. Full, ladylike skirts with hems just below the knee (or ultra-long) are all the rage this season. Bonus if your skirt comes in a stylish print.
- Jeans. Jeans sell well all year long, especially brands like 7 For All Mankind, True Religion, Diesel or Lucky. Hot trends for this spring include high waists, wide legs and bell-bottoms.
- A Little Black Dress. Everyone needs a little black dress in their wardrobe arsenal. If the one you have that doesn’t fit or just isn’t your style, consign it and treat yourself to a new one with your profit.
- Ensure you’ll receive top dollar for your consignment cast-ways by making sure all clothing is clean, pressed and doesn’t have any rips, tears, or missing buttons.